I have really been hanging out to write up this recipe, it’s something that I have been working on for a little while and I’m so bloody excited to put it out there because I think it is just about perfect!
Creme Brulee is something that I always order for dessert if we are out at a restaurant (and it was on the menu). From the crack of the crust, to the velvety richness of the creme below it is just a really magical dish, replicating it used to be easy but now we are paleo well…..
By using the brilliant and easy Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk and avocados in the creme (Avocados are one of my favourite fruits, you can turn them into something savoury like a guacamole, slice them into a salad or just eat them out of the skin with a spoon, but using them in something sweet is sometimes a challenge.) , it makes it completely Paleo friendly, so delicious and…. it does not take a million ingredients or steps to make!
If you don’t have a food torch just pop them under the griller/broiler but watch them them like a hawk, as they can go from perfect to burnt very quickly.
Give it a go and let me know your thoughts.
- 1 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk (see my earlier recipe)
- 2 medium ripe avocados, chopped into smallish pieces
- 2 .5 tbs fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup coconut sugar, for topping (or any other sugar, but I like the taste of coconut sugar!)
- Put the avocados and the sweetened condensed coconut milk into a food processor or Thermomix jug and process until it is smooth as silk
- Add the lemon juice and pulse for a few seconds.
- Check the taste of the creme, does it need more lemon juice or more sweetened condensed coconut milk?
- Spoon the mixture into 4 ramekins or nice looking glasses, cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 4 hours.
- Before serving, spread a thin layer of coconut sugar evenly over the top of each creme.
- Fire up your torch or grill/broiler and melt the sugar, it will melt, bubble and then turn into caramel. And in around a minute, it will harden to a crust.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.