I have been thinking about grabbing a dehydrator of eBay to see what all the fuss was about, I still might as I really like the idea of making my own dried fruit chips or kale chips without having to turn the oven on. Mmmm.. just thinking about dried mango or pineapple makes my mouth water, but anyway on to my Oven Beef Jerky recipe and method. It was actually quite simple and the end result is totally delicious and very paleo friendly. It’s a great snack to take to work or school or traveling.
…..And here I was thinking I needed a dehydrator to make jerky or biltong (the South African version), well how wrong was I!
I used a piece of cryovaced corned beef / silverside. I think it gives the final product a nicer flavor than plain beef. If you are concerned about the salt content make sure you wash the beef before freezing.
- 1.5 kg / 3.3 lbs corned beef/silverside
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- honey to drizzle
- chilli flakes (if you want an extra kick)
- Place the meat in the freezer for 2-4 hours, trust me this makes it so much easier to slice thinly.
- Slice meat into 3mm slices (I think that is around 1/10 inch).
- Place the meat into a zip lock bag or mixing bowl.
- Add the marinade ingredients into the bag or bowl and mix well.
- Place in the fridge and marinade overnight.
- Heat oven to 50ºC / 130ºF degrees.
- Set up racks over backing trays covered with foil.
- Lay the strips on the racks make sure none are overlapping; place the racks in the oven.
- If needed prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 8 hours (mine took 8 hours, yours could take more or less depending on how thinly you sliced the meat)
- ** Alternate step – drizzle with honey and chilli flakes with about 2 hours left…. it will taste amazing.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Cooking / drying away….