We are back! A bit of a break away from the keyboard does the world of good sometimes. But let’s talk about cauliflower rice and freezing it in batches. Making cauliflower rice and freezing it makes it seem almost as good as those 90 second instant rice packets, except healthier…… and it takes a little longer to cook than 90 seconds!
Lets not kid ourselves, cauliflower rice does not taste like rice at all but it is a brilliant substitute for those embracing a Paleo lifestyle or Weight watchers diet, low carb diet etc etc.
And guess what? It’s not all about tasting like rice it’s about adding more vegetables to your diet, and not processed grains.
When cooking the cauliflower rice I prefer the oven method below, but others have also had good results in the microwave.
Below are instructions for making and freezing the cauliflower rice and also my favourite cooking method.
Cooking Cauliflower Rice – The Oven Method
- Take your cauliflower rice out of the freezer and let it defrost for 30-60 min.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F.
- Spread cauliflower rice out on one or more baking trays in a single layer.
- Cook for 15 minutes; try to turn the cauliflower rice over at least once during this time with a spatula.
- Serve immediately. To easy!
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- Food processor / Thermomix, hand grater, long sharp fingernails..
- 4-6 freezer zip lock bags
- Cut the cauliflower in quarters discard the core and break up the florets into evenly sized pieces.
- Place florets into the food processor and pulse a couple of times until they are evenly chopped and look like “rice”!
- Fill your zip lock freezer bags with around 2 cups of cauliflower rice (this should be enough for 2 people)
- Once the bags are full, flatten and squeeze the air out of the bags, store flat in the freezer until needed.