The kids are in bed and I have the sauce simmering away at the moment so this is going to be a quick one. The latest episode of The Following is beckoning us from the TV!
I just wanted to share quite possibly the best tasting Paleo BBQ/Tomato Sauce hybrid ever, we searched around and most of the sauces we came accross were either total tomato sauces or blatant BBQ sauces, there didn’t seem to be a middle ground.
So here is our recipe that covers both styles. It is delicious on the side for dipping, or how we like to serve it – simmered with meatballs and served with loads of veggies.
Note, this is using the brilliant contraption that is the Thermomix / Bellini Intelli Master Chef, to make this traditionally just chop everything up a bit finer, simmer in a pot and blend with a stick blender till its just right!
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 1 brown/yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 apple
- 3 tbs honey
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbs sweet soy or coconut aminos (we use soy, not strictly paleo but we can’t find coconut aminos here in Aus!)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked or sweet paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Quarter the tomatoes, apple and onion.
- Add all the ingredients to the thermo jug. Make sure the measuring cup is in the lid.
- Set the dials to 35 Min, Temp 90, SP 2
- Press GO! and walk away.
- When done, don’t pulse/turbo as you don’t want hot sauce flying out of the lid.
- Set the dials to 15 Sec, SP 1 and work your way up to SP 6 or until it looks like the consistency you want.
- Spoon into jars and let cool before putting in the fridge.
- It will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.